Haunt Forum banner

Giant Spider

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tot13 
#1 ·
I'm am going to make a Spider Rider style Giant spider. I would like to ad some type of animation, so it isn't static. Any ideas?

#2 ·
If you happen to have some trees in the area you plan on using it, you could simply make it pounce down on folks. Here's a picture of a giant spider we made that did just that. Actually, it didn't really pounce, but the spider's body was suspended via aircraft cable from above, and dropped by about 5' just over their heads. The trees disguised the legs enough where they didn't realize the spider was there until too late. The legs were made from rigid 1" PVC with 4" drainage pipe over them. The body was metal frame with burlap covered in driveway topping. A very durable alternative to monster mud.

Attachments

#3 ·
I have been thinking about building one sometime. It will not fit my theme this year though. I didn't want to have it hanging. So I was looking at making one leg strong that would support it. Maybe set it over a rebar stake. Then set the other legs up with some u brackets for a pivot. The I figured I would run lines to them and run them off a motor. Like the FCG. So as the lines get tight the different legs would lift. If you made the support leg a little longer and work a heavy spring into the leg. Like a trampoline spring. The other leg movement should give the body some movement also. Now this is all my theory. So it would take some playing with to get the kinks out. But I think it would make a nice prop. Now this is also the cheapest way I can think of. If you want to use air cylinders, prop controllers, maybe a track system , throw in a spitter. I am sure you could flat out bring it to life.

#7 ·
First off, I did not make this, I saved a link to it a while back and used the same mechanism for a giant spider in my show. I made mine from aluminum stock and a gear motor from Grainger. I also used PVC (each 45 degree bend reduces by a size) for the legs and aluminum flat stuck for the mechanism.

#10 ·
Geez....sorry HC. This is what happens when I fail to check 'instant e-mail notification' at the bottom of the page. Sorry for the late response. Anyway, the driveway topping dries really fast . For the spider body (about 3' X 5') I used a wallpaper brush and started at one end working toward the other. By the time I was at the other end I could start on the next coat. It was a warm day, and it was done outside, so that will definitely have a bearing. The coating I used was a latex base, and constant mixing was necessary to keep the lumps out. This was applied over burlap and it really holds up well in the outdoors. Turned out to be a great alternative to monster mud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.