Haunt Forum banner

Nyctophobia Haunted House 2011

26K views 92 replies 35 participants last post by  witchywoman 
#1 · (Edited)
In October 2011, Nyctophobia Haunted House opens to the public for the first time following our invitation-only event held in October 2010.

The marketing campaign began today; here is our first advertisement for 2011:

Nyctophobia 2011 is already built, which is crazy when compared to last year's 5 days to build prior to opening night. I'll update this thread over the next two months, including the 2011 recap video.

Enjoy!

#3 ·
I LOVE the video! Did you shoot it??
and i LOVE that you give money back if they make it thru alone. that's genius marketing.

my only sugestion would be to have the website listed a bit longer so your brain can absorb how to spell it, seeing as most people cant spell nyctophobia

#5 ·
Thank you! Yes, I shot it (I'm a filmmaker, which really works out when it comes to shooting ads for the haunt haha). And I consider this ad a teaser (again, filmmaker tendencies) so if people don't get that it's for a haunted house or they miss the site, that's okay. My main goal with this is to get the word NYCTOPHOBIA in your mind, so that when we do a more obvious ad in a few weeks people will remember the word and be more interested. We've got physical postcard sized ads for the same purpose, they look like they're for a legitimate study on the fear of the dark!

#10 ·
:jol: That is awesome! I have always thought that a haunted house, that you had to go in ALONE would be terrifying. Let's face it, when you are surrounded by friends, it is just not that scary....but a dark hallway....your heart beating....and then you feel something brush you arm.....are you alone....or are you not? Genius!:jol:

#14 ·
:jol:Eric, I did check out last year's, and can I say WOW! I love the whole way you blindfolded the guests, which already set your theme for "never been done before", so I am sure the people had no idea what was coming next. You captured what I think is the best way to scare people...the unknown... I have been through many haunted houses and the whole chain saw guy and make up doesn't scare me at all. We even went to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios a few years ago, and although I loved the make up and execution, none of it scared me. I think the actors were a little miffed at me because I was all up in their faces checking out their makeup, which was excellent. You have created the perfect truly scary haunted house. Take a bow!!!:D

#23 ·
Eric, what about using twitter to let people know when people use the safe word and chicken out?

Maybe just use the persons first name and let everyone following see the people drop out... could be a great way to fray the nerves of the people waiting in line to get in!

I would get stressed if my smartphone was beeping every 2 minutes with a tweet saying: "Nyctophobia claims another victim: Tim has just fallen in the darkness!" -- or something creepy like that. :p

#24 ·
Eric, what about using twitter to let people know when people use the safe word and chicken out?
That's EXACTLY what we plan to do! We're thinking an hourly count would be good, if anyone has a specifically great reaction though we'll Tweet about it immediately. I'd also like to put a counter on the site that will update itself when we Tweet using a certain hash-tag; ie. #victim, etc. Working on the coding for that currently, we'll see if I can work it out!

#28 ·
Hey guys! Just wanted to update you on our marketing campaign. As you saw in our video ad, I like to keep things subtle. Of course as we get closer to October we're going to get a bit more obvious for those that don't catch on to this type of viral marketing, but for now we're having fun with it.

This is the ad we've been passing out all around the area this month.

We've been keeping the theme as we pass out flyers in public. Here are a few of our actors playing doctors from the Nyctophobia testing facility, as well as some... well-dressed gentlemen keeping watch at a local Gamestop at the crowded midnight release of Gears Of War 3.

The next phase is radio; our radio ad began airing on a local radio station on Monday. I'll have that posted here for you guys this weekend!

#33 ·
just wondering, will you actually be working inside the haunted house every night? or if you'll just be walking around haha.
I don't scare, if that's what you mean. I'll be making the rounds to check on everything and everyone throughout the night and make sure there are no problems or things that need to be fixed!

#34 ·
Yep, gotta agree with Dixie..... this viral thing you're doing is right on the money! Nobody out there is gonna think "oh, it's actually so scary they're telling me I shouldn't come if I can't take it". So it comes across as a direct challenge - one they believe they can easily step up to. Great work.......

#36 · (Edited)
Quick marketing update; we played a game with our Facebook and Twitter followers last night and gave away a few free passes to our press night.

This was the first clue posted, it's recognizable to locals.

The clue found there was a phone number to call, which led them to this location and this clue:

And finally they found what they were looking for.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.