Haunt Forum banner

Cursed Grave Robber

13K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  post-mortem 
#1 ·
Those that dig in sacred ground,

Where neither living or dead still walk.

Best know risk weighed against reward,

For curses these grounds do stalk.

He once dug up graves to take their treasure, a few pieces of silver or brass. With each grave he robbed he lost a little more of himself until he wasn't even human enough to die. Now he wonder forgotten trails and lost graveyards trying to find his death. Refusing to consider that with each new grave disturbed he gets a little further away.

Material
News paper-free
5 empty water bottles-free
Flour-3.00
Duct tape-2.00
Weed roots- free
Gazes- 1.50
Shovel- 2.00 yard sale
Rocks- free
Wood stain- 2.56
Paper skull- 2.00
Pingpong ball-.50
Paints- 3.00
Glue 3.00
Total 19.56

See less See more
#13 ·
somehow most of the early pics of this guy got deleted. i think he did it while i wasn't looking.

The cursed Grave Robber started out with five water bottles. Arranged with three on top and two on the bottom to give the basic structure of his chest and waist.

Both the arms and legs are made of rolled newspaper. Now need to roll them tight, the main concern here is adding volume. Use enough duct tape to keep them together. The paper mache will we add structural support latter.

Once the major limps are on give I gave it a few layers of paper machine. Because I knew I'd be adding more later I only used enough so that it could stand under its own power.

Now that the base body is complete I added muscles. I chose to exaggerate and add one muscle for each part of the limp. The thigh, calf, bicep, triceps. Hope I got those right hehe. It's alright to enlarge and exaggerate them because it'll add to the overall look of the prop.

Now several coats of paper mache were added to strengthen the prop and even out the muscles a bit.

The head was constructed separately and was pretty hard to pin down. My first attempt which I really like but simple didn't fit the design when I was finished .

#15 ·
Because the premise of the prop is that he's a grave robber who has lost so much of his humanity I decided it would be good to have the curse taking visual effect on him. Turning his teeth to stone, making them bigger. Stone growing from other parts of his body like along his spin. Roots slowly wiggling out of him.

#16 ·
His left eye has several stone growing around it, in a few more decades it will become a second mouth.

Once the head was glued on everything got a layer of paper towel skin. I ripped the paper towel into strips, painted the paper mache paste on the back and put it on, wrinkling it as I went. I left some edges unpainted so it would look like he was pealing. Then i stuck the rocks in. No glue was needed to keep them in place.

The painting was trial and error, a lot of error. I started out with a watered down coat of yellow around the hands and feet, using a sponge to apply it in blotches. And a watered down green around the rocks. The original plan had been to use watered down wood stain for the main color. Never occurred to me that water proof wood stain might not water down well. Because that wouldn't work I decided to do a dry brush of the wood stain with larger patches around back.

#17 ·
I mixed black, white, green and a little yellow to get his new skin color. Watered down I let it saturate the paper towel skin. Leaving some large patches of wood stain exposed so that it looked like rooted muscle under moldy skin.
The final touches were the roots, stuck in wherever I thought they'd work and the rotted clothing. I let the gaze sit in the left over paint they just spread them over his shoulders.
I think that's everything, hope this how to helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.