Haunt Forum banner

My haunt ain't happening

7K views 40 replies 30 participants last post by  EverydayisHalloween311 
#1 ·
I have been building props and scenes for my 2010 haunt since November 0f 2009. I built new lighting, new wall panels with much more detail, loads of new monsters, I even got a new house to have the haunt at in October. I got 2 weeks vacation off work, the last 2 weeks of October. I have been puting it out for nearly a year that this year is going to be off the CHAIN. Better than ever. I bought new costumes for my actors and thought of a story line for the haunt and had each actors' scare planned out to a "T". I aquired a lightning simulator and TONS of new sound equipment and created my own original soundtracks. And suddenly.........

It all came to a screeching halt!

A change in my work schedule and location happened about 2-3 months sooner than it was supposed to. That change negates my vacation time and virtually guarantees that I won't even have October 31st off. My haunt, as I have been planning it for nearly a year, is dead in the water. I will continue to build props and work on the haunt just in case, but I think I'm done this year. On a positive note, my new work location is 1 hour closer to my house than my old one.

What do you think I should do if I don't have Halloween off? Have the haunt on whatever days I have off? I'm afraid if I do that I won't have much of a turnout. I rely on ToT's just walking on in, know what I mean? Should I call it a wrap this year and shoot for next year? I'm at a loss right now. I don't think the haunt will have the same effect on a night that isn't Halloween! I'm happy that I'm cutting my commute almost in half but bummed at the same time because I've spent SO MUCH TIME on making this haunt the best in town, literally.

See less See more
#4 ·
Crud, you can't even get the evening off when the tot's come through? Maybe someone can take a few hours of your work on Sunday so you can get back to your haunt?

At worst case, you could do the haunt on Saturday. Everyone would be pumped and primed anyway for the following day, and many pro haunts are already well into their haunting schedule. It would take some aggressive advertising but I bet you could do it!

#5 ·
Ya, the problem is that the nature of my work and they way we opperate (we are union and everything is based on seniority) means that only the highest seniority people are likely to have any part of the weekend off. Plus I work nights. I am still going to try my hardest to have that Sat/Sun off at least, but not having that 2 week vacation is a huge problem. That was when I got most of my work done last year. Sorry to gripe and complain, but it is just kind of a letdown for me and my "fans" LOL, the neighborhood kids. I am stoked about my new job location though!

#6 ·
i know exactly how you're feeling. my haunt plans fell through last year do to some parental interfearance. but even if you don't get it off, you'll be ahead of schedule for next year.

good luck!

#10 ·
Sorry to hear about the life change Ryan but at least you still have a job and a shorter commute. I too am starting a new job shortly so I understand.

Maybe you can talk to someone and explain your commitment to the community in your town and how they depend on your halloween display for the TOTS. Maybe you can at least take a half day. Good luck with everything!

#11 ·
It's tough when things don't go the way we want them to. I've put all things Halloween on hold this year (at least I'm trying - can't seem to stay away from here though) to focus on other more important things. If you can't get away to do anything just remember, there's always next year.

#12 ·
here in oklahoma city they just changed the trick or treat day from october 31st (a sunday) to october 30th so that kiddos wouldn't have to stay up late on a "school night". It's so lame...but that's another conversation. What I meant is that you may check with your area, the trick or treating day may have been moved for you as well so you may still have it off possibly...

#14 ·
Have a Halloween Party the Day before Halloween in and around your Haunt decorations.

Have family or friends run it while you're at work? Get someone to cover for you at work? Show them links to your passion or site link and pictures and maybe they would have a heart.

Union folks respond to $$. Offer to switch shifts with a little $ on top for the switcheroo. Even $100 sound like alot but think about how much coin you drop preparing and enjoyment you get year round prepping for this day. Don't miss it. Offer to work another Holiday in exchange. I hear there are other Holidays :)

~Northrad

#16 ·
Have a Halloween Party the Day before Halloween in and around your Haunt decorations.

Have family or friends run it while you're at work? Get someone to cover for you at work? Show them links to your passion or site link and pictures and maybe they would have a heart.

Union folks respond to $$. Offer to switch shifts with a little $ on top for the switcheroo. Even $100 sound like alot but think about how much coin you drop preparing and enjoyment you get year round prepping for this day. Don't miss it. Offer to work another Holiday in exchange. I hear there are other Holidays :)

~Northrad
I agree (Sorta) with Northrad, Honesty is the best policy. If you take the day off and meet another employee at your haunt, it could become a little bit of a sticky situation (Scab,Not a team player , Unreliable etc). I'd ask your Boss for the day off, and if that fails, Ask if you are allowed to switch with another employee. If he says yes, then offer some coin to your potential replacement(s) if they are reluctant. Of course working X-mas for a fellow employee could be a pretty convincing offer if you're willing to do it.

As for your "Vacation for a setup???" Umm well we all have to make sacrifices. I set my haunt up every night after work for 45 days. You can do that part although it isn't Ideal by any means. A long as your boss know how much this means to you and how much time and $ you already have invested that might or might not help you cause. But it's worh a shot.

#27 ·
Personally I would tell them that I'm Wiccan and it's a religious holiday, but then, it's true for me. Most businesses try really hard to make sure employees have their religious holidays off. You wouldn't have the two weeks off but you can set up before/after work like someone else said.

I'd also take a shot at talking to your boss. Explain that you were told the change would happen later, you had been given two weeks off for vacation that you had earned and you have plans that can't be changed- really can't be changed. Put it out there to the universe and your boss and keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck!
MW

#28 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't have a second in command that can take over for me. It's ALL me baby! I do all the props, planning, building, and come up with all the scares. I do have people help me, but everything is in my head as far as planning goes, plus nobody cares about my haunt as much as me. By best shot would be a shift swap. That is very possible and fairly easy to do. I hope it works out one way or another. I like the "religious holiday" idea. My "customers" at work play that card all the time and get whatever they want, but it doesn't work that way for me! Good idea though. You know, I'm SHOCKED at all the responces I got to my little rant. I appreciate that everyone cares so much! Thanks!!

#29 ·
Well.. dunno if this will make you feel better, but they say misery loves company.
Two years ago, I nearly got to put "professional haunt" on my resume; the local catholic school (of all places!) was going to have an October festival, and they wanted to convert their basement/downstairs into a haunt/maze. My wife used to teach there -the school actually closed a few years back but of course the church is still there- so I got the gig through her, and the fact that I'm "well known" with the kids in my neighborhood as a Halloween madman, mauahahaa..
Unfortunately, about 2 weeks before I was planning to begin building stuff, the boneheads realized they never checked with the fire marshal and the whole idea was scrapped. I was crushed, I had things all planned out. Fortunately, I hadn't put that much physical work into it though.

As to calling in sick, I hope everyone is just joking. People can get fired for faking sick and calling out, these days we're kinda lucky to have a job. I'm not suggesting that it's "right" for employers to have such control over our lives, it ain't; but until things get better, they're holding the aces. I guess it depends too, on whether you're just a college kid with a part time job (in that case, who cares, call out sick - another burger joint will hire you) or if you're an adult professional with a career and responsibilities like rent, mortgage, car payments, family, kids, etc..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.