HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Halloween Discussions > Haunt Tactics and Techniques
Forgot Password?

Notices

Haunt Tactics and Techniques Share your thoughts on the fine art of Amateur and professional haunting techniques.

Old 08-30-2010
Fearless

Liked 3 times in 3 posts
Default My haunt ain't happening

I have been building props and scenes for my 2010 haunt since November 0f 2009. I built new lighting, new wall panels with much more detail, loads of new monsters, I even got a new house to have the haunt at in October. I got 2 weeks vacation off work, the last 2 weeks of October. I have been puting it out for nearly a year that this year is going to be off the CHAIN. Better than ever. I bought new costumes for my actors and thought of a story line for the haunt and had each actors' scare planned out to a "T". I aquired a lightning simulator and TONS of new sound equipment and created my own original soundtracks. And suddenly.........

It all came to a screeching halt!

A change in my work schedule and location happened about 2-3 months sooner than it was supposed to. That change negates my vacation time and virtually guarantees that I won't even have October 31st off. My haunt, as I have been planning it for nearly a year, is dead in the water. I will continue to build props and work on the haunt just in case, but I think I'm done this year. On a positive note, my new work location is 1 hour closer to my house than my old one.

What do you think I should do if I don't have Halloween off? Have the haunt on whatever days I have off? I'm afraid if I do that I won't have much of a turnout. I rely on ToT's just walking on in, know what I mean? Should I call it a wrap this year and shoot for next year? I'm at a loss right now. I don't think the haunt will have the same effect on a night that isn't Halloween! I'm happy that I'm cutting my commute almost in half but bummed at the same time because I've spent SO MUCH TIME on making this haunt the best in town, literally.
Old 08-30-2010
Uneasy

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. I think if you go through all the setup for a non 31st you'd have a paltry turnout. Can you get someone to man it or help set it up and get there that night?

If all else fails, I'd buy your boss a case of scotch and beg!
Old 08-30-2010
Fearless

Liked 21 times in 9 posts

Hope it works out for you. I know how hard it can be to work on something, waiting to unveil it to the world only to have it fall thru. I would continue to work on the haunt anyways. If it doesn't fly this year, you will be that much ahead for next.
Old 08-31-2010
Frightener

Liked 12 times in 11 posts

Crud, you can't even get the evening off when the tot's come through? Maybe someone can take a few hours of your work on Sunday so you can get back to your haunt?

At worst case, you could do the haunt on Saturday. Everyone would be pumped and primed anyway for the following day, and many pro haunts are already well into their haunting schedule. It would take some aggressive advertising but I bet you could do it!
Old 08-31-2010
Fearless

Liked 3 times in 3 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant2000 View Post
Crud, you can't even get the evening off when the tot's come through? Maybe someone can take a few hours of your work on Sunday so you can get back to your haunt?

At worst case, you could do the haunt on Saturday. Everyone would be pumped and primed anyway for the following day, and many pro haunts are already well into their haunting schedule. It would take some aggressive advertising but I bet you could do it!
Ya, the problem is that the nature of my work and they way we opperate (we are union and everything is based on seniority) means that only the highest seniority people are likely to have any part of the weekend off. Plus I work nights. I am still going to try my hardest to have that Sat/Sun off at least, but not having that 2 week vacation is a huge problem. That was when I got most of my work done last year. Sorry to gripe and complain, but it is just kind of a letdown for me and my "fans" LOL, the neighborhood kids. I am stoked about my new job location though!
Old 08-31-2010
Batty Beautiful

Liked 10 times in 8 posts

i know exactly how you're feeling. my haunt plans fell through last year do to some parental interfearance. but even if you don't get it off, you'll be ahead of schedule for next year.

good luck!
Old 08-31-2010
Desensitized

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

You don't look so well. Seems like you have a case of "Icantcometoworkitshalloween". Very serious ailment, requires front porch rest and beer to cure. Highly contagious too, can't go to work untill it clears up...

RandalB
Old 08-31-2010
Desensitized

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I say call in sick... what is it a 2 point day? If you are not in points trouble I say RandalB's diagnosis is spot on!
Old 08-31-2010
Fearless

Liked 3 times in 3 posts

I think I feel a flu coming on.....
Old 08-31-2010
Slowly Losing My Mind

Liked 1 time in 1 post

Sorry to hear about the life change Ryan but at least you still have a job and a shorter commute. I too am starting a new job shortly so I understand.

Maybe you can talk to someone and explain your commitment to the community in your town and how they depend on your halloween display for the TOTS. Maybe you can at least take a half day. Good luck with everything!