HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Halloween Discussions > Costumes and Makeup
Forgot Password?

Notices

Costumes and Makeup The place to discuss Halloween costumes, makeup and anything else related to masquerading about on the big night.

Old 09-16-2011
Desensitized

Liked 2 times in 2 posts

I'm not sure how to do the hands ... I could buy a pair of monster gloves from Party City or the Halloween store, but I haven't found anything that I really like yet.

Here's the results from a couple of different attempts:

this first one is simply black makeup on my hand with fingers poking through tainted cheesecloth. Pretty simple really ...

this effect is better i think, but it took me 30+ mins, just to do one hand. This is the same method I used on the face, with strips of paper towels dyed w/ tea/coffee:

another pic, of the opposite side of my hand:

So, what's the verdict? which one looks better?

Last edited by waldiddy; 09-16-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2011
Fearless

Liked 1 time in 1 post

I like the first one, with the fingers poking through the bandages. They would seem to be the most practical, at least in terms of using your fingers. And it actually looks rather good.

I'm pretty sure that the mummy in the Abbott and Costello movie had it's hands wrapped pretty much the same way.
Old 09-16-2011
Totally Gargoylicious

Liked 97 times in 36 posts

I like the first one better as well - not only more practical in terms of time, but I would think would take any wear and tear from using your hands better than the second version.
Old 09-16-2011
A Wee Bit Wicked....

Liked 31 times in 15 posts

Hey Waldiddy!!! Can I say WooHoo to having a fellow NC haunter? Anyway, what I love about your Mummy-wear is that you are making it. Kudos to you, instead of copping out to a pre-made costume. But I have a suggestion. What is a mummy? A human body that has been preserved and wrapped in mummy-ware (much like tupperware, but without the 'stay-fresh' burp we are all so familiar with). I think some of the premade skeleton gloves would be a good place to start with your hands. Of course, when I was a skeleton I was a masichist and painted my own skeleton hands on black spandex gloves, but you could paint them on whatever color spandex gloves that you have, or purchase. And I really wish you would post more pictures of your costume head/face....it was too dark for me to make much out of your previous pictures. But cheers to you for going balls to the wall on this one!!!
Old 09-16-2011
Desensitized

Liked 2 times in 2 posts

The pics are from a laptop webcam, so they probably don't have the greatest clarify. I'll try again w/ the digital camera.
Old 09-16-2011
A Wee Bit Wicked....

Liked 31 times in 15 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldiddy View Post
The pics are from a laptop webcam, so they probably don't have the greatest clarify. I'll try again w/ the digital camera.
Thanks! The pics were too dark to make much out of the detail...for me. I look forward to seeing your finished Mummy costume! Great idea!!!