Haunt Forum banner

Halloween forecast

5K views 75 replies 31 participants last post by  Plastic Ninja 
#1 ·
I've been seeing long range forecasts for early snow and early bitter cold not just in the Midwest where we are but all over.

Frankly I'm freaking out a little (maybe a lot) since part of our party this year includes my husband and I renewing our wedding vows - outside. Maybe it's time to think up a Plan B or C....

Anyone else preparing for an ugly weather Halloween?

#3 ·
The past two years have literally sucked weather-wise for us on Halloween. As always, hoping for the best but prepared for another bad night. I don't put any stock into the long range forecasts only because they are most often wrong. Even the short range "week-of" outlooks change daily. Admittedly, the weather is what causes me the most anxiety this time of year but with no control over it, just be ready for what comes. Good weather is a bonus!

#4 ·
I'm hoping for the best and trying to plan for the worst. If we were having our usual party I wouldn't be as worried but with the vow renewal we'll have some elderly people there - at least for a little while.

Time to invest in another patio heater.

#6 ·
Still too early for a long range forecast, but I did look up the historical average temperatures for our area on October 31 - high of 63, low of 39. Rain is our biggest concern because some props (papier mache or motor-driven) are susceptible to water damage, but we have enough immune-to-water props to take their place should the weather get ugly.

#10 ·
Halloween Weather Predictably Unpredictable

It still amazes me how quickly the weather changes in October. We probably had about 4 days of rain the entire month of September. And I should know as a grizzled pumpkin grower. :D

But I put up my cemetery fence on Saturday, and BOOM!!!!!!! It rains everyday with that dreary damp all day rain for three days. And the night time lows drop 20 degrees.

It reminds me why only basic stuff can go out before the big night and why inside window projections are priceless.

On the upside, it does feel much spookier with the wind rustling and a bit of nip in the air. But rain, rain- go away.

#12 ·
Now looking at rain the day before, but partial sunshine on the day of, with high of 66 and low of 43. Should get some decent low-lying fog early in the evening unless the wind blows.

And yes, having window projections is a tremendous asset no matter what the weather is.

#13 ·
As of today, sunny and warm the 30th, a little rain early in the day on the 31st, then clearing, and sunny on the day after. That works. Halloween may be sandwiched in between two dry fronts and we might get by with a slight shower and then be in the clear at night. A few weeks ago it had called for rain and cold all week but it's a bit of an improvement. Still too early but I find myself checking it every couple days now. I need more things to worry about. I don't have enough stress in my life.

#14 ·
latest from accuweather! I must be dreaming!!

28Sunshine
52° Lo 41°
Hist. Avg.
57° Lo 42°

29Partial sunshine
60° Lo 37°
Hist. Avg.
57° Lo 42°

30Clouds and sun
55° Lo 38°
Hist. Avg.
56° Lo 41°

31Mostly sunny
60° Lo 47°
Hist. Avg.
56° Lo 41°

Nov 1Abundant sunshine
61° Lo 46°
Hist. Avg.
56° Lo 41°

#15 ·
Our long range forecast changed last week. It called for rain on the 30th and 31st. Now those days have been changed to being sunny with temps in the mid to upper 50's and lows in the upper 40's with no rain! I guess it would be a normal Halloween day for us. But again, that can change in a heartbeat! So we are keeping our fingers crossed!

#22 ·
:(Ours too. It's gone downhill quickly from even a couple days ago. The upside is that it has changed so often it may go back to a decent night, so while I check it to see if there are solid patterns, it is still way too early to put stock in a forecast 12 days out. It changes daily!:rolleyes:

#24 ·
I will never trust the forecast!!! Had our family haunt party on Saturday (in Indiana) and just two days before the event there was no supposed rain. The night before oops maybe a 10% chance.

It rained off and on that Saturday for about 8 hours. I was fortunate enough to get our fire pit going for the weenie roast, but had to keep the marjority of my props put away.

I did learn one lesson though. I'm going to get out of my Halloween hoarding ways and focus a little more on props that can be used no matter what type of weather hits.

#25 ·
Looking at a prediction of sunshine now, high of 65, low of 40.

RWB, we take the same approach as far as weather-worthy props. We have to be cautious with papier mache items and motor-driven animatronics if rain is in the forecast, but we have plenty of other props that can stand up to a rainy evening without a problem.

#26 ·
I have learned to weather proof my motor driven props. Those really cheap "Tupperware" knock offs that you can buy at the grocery store come in plenty of sizes and, with a little caulk, can seal a motor away from the nasty rain.

#27 ·
Back to sunny all week now. It's gone back and forth three times in 5 days so not worrying about it yet, although at least now they might be able to get a good handle on any paterns coming our way. Just hoping for a dry night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.