Haunt Forum banner

First project for the 2014 season

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ramath 
#1 ·
I started a week or so ago on the First prop for the 2014 season of my Haunted tents display and thought id share it,,, I tend to vlog in the how-to style so my vlogs tend to be some what long sorry if this bores any one...

#4 ·
Two thoughts or questions.
First, why not just paint the Arabesque pattern for the wallpaper?
That would look more natural and take less time (and mess), and keep the pattern from competing with the skull and fluted columns. It would also give you room to change or alter those patterns in the future.
Did you consider just projecting the image up onto the panels and then sketch or outline the features you wanted? That would allow you to easily scale the images to the desired width or height without having to pull out a calculator to scale all of the elements up one at a time.
Just thoughts from the cheap seats

#5 ·
well Fontgeek to answer your questions,, as to just painting them on ,, yes it would be easier and quicker but the panels would look flat, by carving them in it tends to give a little more depth to the look and in the case of those panels that are in reach of my visitors it gives it a little texture, something that painting them on wouldn't do..

as to using a projector to lay the panels out... theres 2 answers to that one,, while projecting the image onto the sheets would probly be easier that would also take out a lot of the randomness of each panel,, each panel would look exactly the same and that's something I didn't want,, my other answer to that question and probly the most important one is that I don't have a projector :p -)

lol hope that helps

#6 · (Edited)
My thought was to paint just the wallpaper's Arabesque pattern, not the columns, skulls, etc. Those patterns tended to be raised rather than relief (sunken). They were often flocked to give them an actual change in texture to mimic the actual woven cloth they were named after. Using a flat/matte finish paint for the pattern can do wonders for making those elements stick out from the background color(s). Dover Press has a great book of stencils that are from that period. Look for "2,286 Traditional Stencil Designs" by H. Roessing. A great resource for this kind of work
As to all of the panels ending up being exactly the same? Not if you are routing all of those bones, columns, chair rails, etc. and the fact that you are going to come back and paint all of those elements too would make each panel different. Using a projector can help you set the scale and proportions of all of the critical elements, but it doesn't limit or restrict you from making changes in what you choose to use, or not use in your final work.
But without the projector, yah, I can definitely see the limitation from that end of things.
FYI, many public libraries have projectors, you can borrow. But to each hiss (or hearse) own.

#7 ·
you do raise some good points ,,, and believe me I hear where your coming from -) for me this is just the way I like to do it -) I do believe the way I do my panels are unique, several years ago when I originally started doing this type of wall panel I did a lot of research both on you tube and on forum boards and web sites looking at other people who have done this sort of thing,, one thing I found was while a lot of the steps in making the panels are the same every one had there own unique style that made there panels different..... There is no wrong way to do haunt panels a person just needs to do what is comfortable for them. -)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.