Haunt Forum banner

2009 Haunt

16K views 68 replies 23 participants last post by  Front Yard Fright 
#1 ·
So I've been planning my 09 haunt ever since construction began on the 08 haunt... I've been messing around with it... Adding stuff, taking stuff out, and switching stuff around.

One of my, many, big projects for 09 is going to be a brand new circus/fun house themed haunt where the cemetery was for 08. It will be a modular maze constructed of plywood walls and a OSB floor (Same thing the house was this year)

I'm just having a hard time making up my mind as to which way to go with the clown theme... For 08 I created http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/frontyardfright/2008/10-10-08/IMG_4428.jpg that was similar to the one found in the movie Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnsyXYnPoAE&feature=PlayList&p=ABB37EE295B5274C&index=31[/nomedia]

I was planning on created a giant (16x16) facade http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/frontyardfright/clown_head.jpg found in the movie and then theme the whole haunt with scenes from the movie (Cotton candy cocoons, popcorn room with Cotton Candy Klowns, a jail cell with the inmate covered in cotton candy, etc) Also, Bump In the Night Productions has a nice line of Killer Klowns masks and props. However, I'm not sure if A. It will be scary enough B. People will know what it's from and C. Afford buying a bunch of new stuff.

I was otherwise thinking of doing my own twist on a fun house with a checker board room, and other stuff like that. That way it's more of a generic style haunt.

What do you guys think?

I was also toying around with the idea of doing a pirate ship in the front yard and do use our new Light-O-Rama hardware to do a light show (Example below) and then doing a small walk through haunt on our porch recommended for the little ones who don't want to get scared.

However, I was also planning on doing a light show using those fake carved pumpkins to sing different Halloween songs and have the porch wrapped in lights that go to the light show. It'd be something like this...

The pirate ship would be a great way to go, and the haunted house would be great. But I already have the pumpkins to do the light show, and all the lights I would need. So it definitely would be cheaper, but I've heard many of you say that you don't think the light shows are really "Halloweeny".

Now I ask YOU fellow Haunt Forumers! What are your opinions on this matter!?
:jol:

See less See more
#5 ·
Killer Clowns from Outer Space!!!!

I watched that like a dozen times when I was a kid. Weird, but that's just like me.

Nice flashback!
I saw it quite a few times when I was a kid!
Maybe that's why I ended up being this big Halloween enthusiast! hahaha

Oh the best would be to do the Pirate house like the one you have above and a niebor right across do the same for the ships fighting and cannon fire.
That's a fantastic idea! However, I don't think my neighbors would play along with the fun!

Have you posted "how to" on your clown facade? I love it! and I am wanting to do something similar for '09. I would love to know how you did it.
No how-to as of yet. And thanks! I'm planning on maybe redoing the clown head and make it part of a much larger facade for my haunt in 09. Keep your eyes out for 09 updates!
:).

#10 ·
Front Yard Fright 2009 Progress

I thought I'd share my plans and progress for my 2009 haunt. I was hoping that we would find a building, but I'm planning on staying home for at least one more year. After that, I don't think I'll be able to add much else! I'm running out of room! After our 2008 season, we filled up our 10 x 40 storage unit from floor to ceiling!
:eek:.

Anyways, here's some things that I'm hoping to accomplish for my 2009 haunt...

I'm adding a brand new 24 x 24 fun house where the cemetery has been the past four years. It will have a brand new 24 x 16 facade complete with the clown head from last year's haunt. there will be 5 to 6 rooms in it. Some ideas I have are a hallway full of clowns, all but one being fake. Adding some drop panels that can all be run my one person. (I found out that they are VERY affective!) The prison cell will become a monkey cage. Also, a room full of jack-in-the-boxes with a live actor in one, and a pneumatic pop up in another. Here's somewhat of a list of stuff that's going to go into the all new fun house haunt:

• 24 by 24 building (floor and walls)
  • 24 by 16 foot fun house facade
  • fun house sign
  • "TICKETS" sign
  • hallway of clowns
  • two drop panels
  • jack-in-the-box room
  • pneumatic jack-in-the-box
  • monkey cage

The cemetery will now be placed where The House used to be. Basically, everything is getting pushed back to make room for the all new fun house haunt. In the past, I haven't been able to have any actors in the cemetery itself because everyone can see it while standing in line... So it's hard to get a scare in if everyone can see what's going on. However, for 09, the cemetery will be behind the fun house and next to the garage, so I will definitely be working in some actors in our new cemetery! I'm hoping to add some bigger, more lifelike, tombstones as well as a new walkway using that big fake plastic chain you would find at Wal Mart. I picked up 10 sections of it after Halloween last year so i think they will come in quite handy! Also, I'm hoping to make my dog house pneumatic this year. For the past 2 years, the dog house has be static so I think will come as a big surprise when "Fluffy" attacks in 09! Here's a list I've come up with so far:

• new gravestones
  • new walkway path
  • fix up broken stones
  • pneumatic dog house

The house will now be placed in the back yard. I'm not sure on how everything is going to fit back there because in the past we haven't had anything back there. The House isn't very wide, but very deep. And the back yard is very wide and not very deep. So the whole house might actually get flipped sideways. However, that would run into a problem with the facade. But we'll see how things end up going! Here's a list of stuff I'd like to add to The House

• new floor (The floor rotted in 08!)
  • new living room
  • new dinning room
  • expanded kitchen
  • expanded bedroom
  • expanded bathroom
  • expanded library

The garage too is getting quite the over haul. I'm going to make it completely themed haunt, along with the others. In the past it has been a mixture of different themed rooms. Well for 09 I'm hoping to make the whole thing one big cohesive haunt. I'm going to go for a military base theme and I'm going to try and do something with a back story. Here's and idea of what I'm going for... "TOXICORP, a military based company, has come out with this new healing chemical 'RX:13' to give to injured soldiers. This new chemical, not only heals the soldiers better and faster, it makes it so the soldiers can go longer without eating or drinking. It also gives them energy so they can stay up longer. The only thing is... It does have it's side effects..." :D.
Here's a list of some stuff I'd like to add to the garage:

• facade
  • office/entry
  • observation room
  • mess hall
  • freezer

That's all I've got for now! I'm hoping to post progress shots, and let everyone know about new things I've been working on and stuff like that. Also, I'm working on getting a brand new website up and going for the 09 season. Things are kinda slow on that, but I'll be sure to let everyone know when it gets up and going!

Let me know if you have any comments or questions. I love hearing from you guys!
:jol:.

#11 ·
Sounds like you're going to be quite busy this season. Your initial plan is quite impressive as well. I understand the heartaches of wanting/needing more space.
We just signed a 5 year contract, so now we'll have a permanent location. We'll now encompass 2 floors of an old warehouse building with approximately 33,000 sq.ft. It's a far cry from the 12,000 feet we used to cram into for the past 12 years.

Have patience FYF, when the times right, you'll find your location.

#16 ·
Okay, not too much going on right now, however I did get some lumber to start my new fun house sign! Here's an animation I threw together to give you an idea of what it's going to look like:

HouseOfSlaughter.gif picture by frontyardfright - Photobucket

You can click it to get a bigger view...

Anyways, there's a general idea of what it'll look like. I'm really excited to get to work and get it done! I'll be sure to post pics once things start to come together!
:D.

#18 ·
Suppose I should post another update. Things are still creeping along. Right now I'm focusing on our big kick off party I'm going to be having in March.

Work is also a factor, along with being without a truck. But never fear! I have been planning A LOT of new stuff!

Also, the website has been set up, and is different from the one in my last post. You can check it out by clicking the link in my sig! I'm currently tinkering with the background colors/images/ and text.

Let me know what you think! (Readable? Organized? Etc)

#19 ·
I'm currently working on getting some promotional stuff made for the 09 haunt. Since I'm going to have 4 distinct themed haunts, I've decided to give them all names and use them in my promotion. I posted my first haunt, "The House of SLaughter" the next will be the "Cemetery of the Undead", the third will be the house (Have yet to come up with name) and the last haunt will be "Toxic Chaos". Below are some images I have created!

I would love to hear what comments you have about it!

#28 ·
Thanks!
The font used for the "S" is called "Homicide Effect".
;).

that is soooo cool!!!
Thank you! I'm pretty satisfied with how it came out! Wait until you see the rest of my facade I have planned!
:jol:.

The sign looks great, if you've been to concerts the BIG ones with the T-shirt shooters you know they shoot far, but with the low amount of air pressure lowered and some popcorn in it, you could have the cool killer popcorn being shot at patrons!(from Killer Klowns from Outer Space).Also a balloon room, like balloons COVERING the floor, i know for a lot of people it will be hard just to walk in, but then you could have someone laying off to the side under balloons, pop up. Etc. Clowns are fun to work with!
I love the popcorn idea! I'm sure I could get something figured out! Just might make a big mess at the end of the night!
:googly:.

#27 ·
The sign looks great, if you've been to concerts the BIG ones with the T-shirt shooters you know they shoot far, but with the low amount of air pressure lowered and some popcorn in it, you could have the cool killer popcorn being shot at patrons!(from Killer Klowns from Outer Space).Also a balloon room, like balloons COVERING the floor, i know for a lot of people it will be hard just to walk in, but then you could have someone laying off to the side under balloons, pop up. Etc. Clowns are fun to work with!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.