Haunt Forum banner

Unstructured Thoughts - What Are You Thinking Now?

3M views 57K replies 408 participants last post by  RedonitoR 
#1 ·
Please read before deciding there's no reason for you to post a reply.

I really don't post as much at message boards as I used to. And there's a reason for that. I get distracted, very easily. I'm just the kind of person with thoughts that often aren't structured. They just happen. For instance, if I'm worried about something, I usually don't want to discuss it but I'd like to just state it. Black and white, clear as crystal, once and have done with it. Unless of course someone else could or has been able to relate to that thought and wants to add to it. I don't want to start a dozen short posts about abstract thoughts just because when I have them I want to discuss them very much. It would be more sensible to, in a sense, have a graveyard for them where I could bury them as they arise.

This simply would eliminate worthless topics which no one would reply to and there's no worry about this topic getting off-topic because that's how it starts. It's not about establishing a pattern of off-topic topics. But for instance... I'm getting a headache right now, so I'd like to elaborate more on this post later on. But I wanted to try and create a post for random thoughts anyone were to have. In case the person having them really felt like sharing them.

I don't have one right now, but I could spill my guts about a lot of little things to other people that mean something to me.

See less See more
#57,304 ·
I've been complaining for awhile now about work but I didn't know it could get worse until I worked for Crescent. Also known as Aston or Promedica. Almost no regular employees left and everyone they hire is crazy. On New Years so many agency people called off and left just this new person and me and two agency. On on our unit one agency called off and people called off all over. Instead of being overstaffed we were understaffed. S0..I walk in, look at the board. I'm no longer allowed or paid to do this but I do. I'm writing the assignments, asking where people are, what's going on. So all the units are short. One of us needs to go to the nursing home; it should be the agency person but no The unit manager says S has to go. She has a meltdown and reminds the um she picked up and works here. I'm furious and walking after the um saying "send the agency person, this is why we have only five employees left" She's furious saying: She's never been here before (agency person) and she came in four hours early. We're friends but that was bat **** crazy and now we've lost a valuable employee. S walked, I don't think she's coming back, even if she wanted to; walking out after taking a walk through is termination. I'm bummed. Seriously S was the first nearly normal person this place has hired. She was getting really great with patients and she was kind.

#57,305 ·
So...a while back I mentioned a neighbor who had purple lights up for Halloween and then incorporated Christmas lights? Lovely light display! Anyway they took all their Christmas lights down on the 1st but left that purple light arch up. So i wondered if it meant something and looked it up. It does for domestic violence. It's called The “Purple Light Campaign. Purple is the universal color for domestic violence awareness. I did not know that. Just thought I'd share.

My Christmas lights are still up. I probably will take them down on the Epiphany or as a Catholic on the 7th. As a bad Catholic I may not take them down until sometime in February. tee hee! Love the lights.

#57,308 ·
So weekend off and I wasted Saturday. I got up at 7 but it was pouring rain and I didn't want to run errands in rain so I went back to bed and slept until almost 3pm. I was so mad at myself. So many errands to run: first stop PetSmart. and I went into shock. Lucy's fancy feast has gone up 25% per can within a month. I purchase her food a month at a time. I asked store associates about it but I knew they didn't know. I didn't raise my voice or yell or anything but this increase scared me. Two customers came up to me in the parking lot (because they heard me asking about it in the store) and asked me if I was going to do anything. Um....I'm going to write and complain...are you I hope? They said they would. I already have to PetSmart (grocery store was 2 cents less a can) and Fancy Feast where I told them my income has not increased and I will no longer be buying their product. I am so freaked out about these giant price hikes. The truth is Lucy only eats FF so I will probably buy it unless I can find an excellent product with meat as it's first ingredient. I am losing money every month and am scared.

My other errands were pharmacy and grocery. Also sticker shock but I buy with coupons and bogo so not as bad. I also picked up some half off Christmas green extension cords at Walgreens. Is it sad I'm excited about that purchase? I have a lot of extension cords but I always feel like it's not enough. 2 bucks for a 20' cord with 3 outlet power block. I bought the last two.

#57,309 ·
Oh, one other thing. I just thought this was interesting. The WSJ had an article that I though was interesting about inflation. It said adults cut spending on themselves first, then children and last pets. I found that interesting and amusing.

#57,310 ·
So I received responses from both PetSmart and Fancy Feast (Purina). Nothing informative, no surprise. PetSmart basically said "sorry, that's life but here's how you can save money by purchasing online...blah, blah, blah", and Purina emailed me twice: first one said they were investigating the situation and the second that's life, we're sorry. Also the prices may come down in the future. LOL. I don't regret complaining though. I do know if enough people speak out it sometimes changes things. Hopefully other people go into shock like I did and complain. I don't remember the stats or percentages but I am aware that my one complaint on this huge price hike represents a fairly large percentage of other customers who will say nothing but stop purchasing FF. I also am aware that that it is a lot easier to sell to an existing customer (70% ish) than selling to a new prospect. Pet food and pet products are hugely competitive and I am fairly certain I can find another brand of cat food that is healthy and Lucy will enjoy. Still Lucy loves FF and I hope Purina lowers it's prices. I hope other people email in.

#57,311 ·
It's official. Today is the day the last administration person left. I was in the office and heard it all; including this company telling one of best CNAs for the nursing home that they didn't care about her giving a two week notice, she could just consider her last day, today. The company I once loved is really gone. I think besides me maybe nine people including kitchen, floor and nursing. I was grabbing all my benefits before my friend left. She's fine. New job and she's taking a few with her. Crazy though. I have a new job and am taking my benefits before I give notice. That's what our final discussion was about. Also we're all keeping in touch. Worse company ever. I was reading reviews and "I wouldn't send a dog here" keeps going through my head. Followed by a positive review of me; I like that. lol

#57,314 ·
Thank you but I haven't switched yet. I'm trying to make sure I get everything owed me. Almost there. I've got the job though.

On a related and interesting note (to me anyway) this young nurse I've known for maybe a year signed on yesterday. I like her a lot on a personal level but she's always late, leaves early and just does not do her job. Also she hates this place. So today I came on and she wasn't here so I called the mod and asked did she call off? No and guess what we just hired her! So excited. Hurrah! I said "Oh that's wonderful" but was thinking really? She hates it here and is 45 minutes late. Later we were talking and I asked her why? She told me how much they were paying her plus a 10,000 starting bonus and I just though wtf? Plus they promised to buy her contract. They just let walk a great nurse that can get a job anywhere who is always on time, picks up, works her ass off. I don't get it. This young woman is being paid more than me and spends her time listening to videos at the station. I'm not even mad anymore. I just don't understand. Maybe it's age? B and I are the same age. That's all I can come up with. Seriously no clue what this place is doing.

#57,316 ·
Some do or their family/friends do for them. It's tricky sometimes because really confused people make up stuff and complain or accuse about things that never happened. That's always investigated and the nurse/cna is usually either switched to another room or placed on probation while that is happening. If it is known a patient/resident is making up (or not) accusations, two are required to go into a room together. This place has a lot of dementia patients. It is damaging and emotionally destressing for the nurse/cna accused.

What I see for the majority of factual complaints is that patients who are here for rehab and/or nursing care are afraid to speak up because they are afraid of being seen as a bother or that there will be retaliation. I think the same thing is true in hospitals and other medical care facilities as well. So...if there is no family member or friend to speak up for them they say nothing or tell a nurse or cna that they trust. A lot tell me BUT then they don't remember what or who the person was (Therapist, CNA, RN, LPN), they don't remember what shift, name so it's hard to track. When you have regular employees it's easier but right now it's almost all agency. I come in and patients know me, I know them. They trust me. They know I will take care of them. I have had people cry when I tell them "I'm off tomorrow so I will see you again on Wednesday". This place is just bad. I can't even track it. I just had this lovely patient tell me (on the day she was discharged) unbelievable stuff that some of these agency people said to her while she was here. I totally believed her and reported it but she could not remember who or what they were. I had no clue who they might have been. There are so many. I was almost mad at her. Why didn't you tell someone before? Why didn't you tell me before? I might have been able to figure out who it was; but I know. She was afraid.

Trying to answer your legitimate question and what I think you are really asking. If a patient/resident or their friend, family member complain to the DON or Administrator will they will get results? Yes, In any medical facility or hospital a complaint has to be investigated. (in some facilities) they may also get bitchy, unkind things said behind their backs but who cares? I think to many people are afraid of that. I saw it with my Mother too. There are a lot of good Drs, RNs, LPNs, CNAS out there but then you get agency (a lot of good agency too) and just people who are in it for money and don't care. I see patients/residents who complain get really good results (even the ones who complain for no reason, which drives me crazy because I want the people who should be complaining, complain) Also in a place like this it can result in better patient care for all.

I want to reiterate that the flip side is anyone (patient or another employee: dr, rn, lpn,cna) can lie at any time about anyone and that happens too. It happens a lot. It can place a person on probation, cause them to lose their license. Often just because someone doesn't like someone else. Nothing to do with patient care, just personal. So....a very weird field indeed. It's business. Remember that and demand the best. I wish health care was all benevolent and idealistic but it's not (unless you have a lot of money).

#57,317 ·
PrettyG, I guess thinking back 40 years when my Dad was a resident of a VA center and I saw bad behavior from staff and asked why he didn't say something his answer was I have nowhere else to go and they will retaliate against me and I had best not complain on his behalf. To this day it still makes my heart sad to think of it!

#57,318 ·
So another stressful work day and I came home and was washing my face and I took a good look at myself,( in maybe years: I never really look at myself) and I realized I do look like my Mother. She was blond, beautiful and blued eyed and I have brown, reddish hair and green hazel eyes like my Father and Grandfather. Everyone else on both sides of the family is blond and blue eyed and over 6'. I'm 5 2, and my Father and Grandfather were both under 6". Anyway I'm washing my face and look up and see myself and there it was: I saw myself, my mother and my grandmother all in my face. So odd. Relatives have told me many times I look like my Grandmother or Mother but I never saw it and now I do. It was the oddest feeling finally seeing them in me. Made me want to cry and then I did.

#57,320 ·
Cold here too. Not as cold as it used be when I moved here but colder than last year., 60s, 50s. When I moved to Sarasota in the early 1990s it would still freeze, even snow a bit sometimes. I would worry about my Mother being cold. I had oil heat and had the tank filled once a year. Seems amazing to me now. People who were born here tell me the creek would freeze. They would ice skate. Now nothing. I love this year because we are having these few cool days. But I know it's only for a week or so. I miss the below zero days.