Haunt Forum banner

Asphodelus Thanatos (Greek Death Flower)

59K views 48 replies 41 participants last post by  Torgen 
#1 ·
In Greek legend, Asphodelus was planted around the tombs and graves of the dead and was nicknamed "The Haunt of the Dead". It was said the flower would protect the portal between our world and Hades, keeping demonic forces at bay. This much rarer strain known as Asphodelus Thanatos, waits for amongst the headstones for unsuspecting mourners. With teeth as sharp as a hellhound and an appetite to match, the death flower attacks its unassuming prey with a poisonous bite. The bite from Asphodelus will instantly paralyze its victims, allowing the plant to digest its meal at leisure, sometimes taking days to devour a human.

The Breakdown:

3 balloons ($1.50/ pack 25 = .06 ea) .18
1/3 of 5lb. bag flour (for mache) (3.29/bag) 1.09
2 cans black spraypaint (.97 each) 1.94
2 oz. Model Magic for teeth (4 oz. 1.99 with 50% coupon) 1.00
1/10 yard cheesecloth from $1 store .10
1/2 bottle olive green craft paint (.59/bottle) .30
1/4 bottle magenta craft paint (.50/ bottle) .25
1/10 bottle mustard yellow craft paint (.50/ bottle) .05
1/10 bottle brown craft paint (.50/bottle) .05
1/10 bottle poly coat paint (4.99/bottle) .49
3/4 bag glue sticks ($ 2.99/bag) 2.25
1/4 bag moss ($2.89/bag) .73
Plastic Urn (yardsale find) $3.00
2" foam insulation 1 1/2 sq. foot (scrap @ .29 sq ft) .44
Newspaper free
Cereal Boxes free
sticks from tree free

TOTAL COST $11.87

I began with my greek death flower with paper maching balloons, building out lips with curled newspaper. I trimmed up the mouths and sanded them down, finally spraying them black. I made the petals and leaves using cardboard from cereal boxes, simply cutting out the shape of a leaf, curling the edges and spraypainting them black as well. After attaching the petals and a stick from my tree as a stem, I airbrushed in some green and handpainted in some details.

For the teeth, I began with a strip of carboard cereal box, used Model Magic to form the fang like teeth, and allowed them to dry. I then painted them with a yellow wash and browned them up to make them gross looking. I attached these to the inside of the mouth with hot glue. Finally I coated them with poly to make them shine. When that was done, I put a chunk of styrofoam in the bottom of my plastic urn planter that I had sprayed black and distressed with paint, and pushed the tree stick stems into the foam, adding some hot glue for added strength. I covered the foam with more cardboard leaves and some moss. Finally I trimmed out with a little painted cheesecloth to add an eerier feel to it.

I'm going to try and get night shots of this, but it poured here tonight. Hope you all like and thanks for an awesome and inspiriing competition!!!

See less See more
#6 ·
Wow those are great. I wish I did not have so many projects already, or I would have to try my hand at a couple of those. One on either side of the door would be great guardians for my entrance.

#16 ·
Yeah I sooo wanted to do movement but just not in the budget or the time frame either since I'm headed out on vacation and needed to wrap it up before the weekend. :) I so wanted the mouth to move like a snarl, but I think I would have to use latex and stuff so it would have put me waaaayyy over budget. Oh well, still pretty cool considering it's basically just a pile of paper, LOL! :)

#18 ·
All that for just $11.87 is genius!!! Fantastic entry! I really like this as a static prop and can just imagine it sitting out on Halloween night with a light on it, a nice gentle wind is blowing and the kids whose imaginations are already running wild are constantly glancing at it wondering if it did just actually move or not. I love it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.