HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > General Prop Discussion
Forgot Password?

Notices

General Prop Discussion General prop discussion forum. For discussions that don't really "fit" into another of the propbuilding categories.

Old 07-02-2010
BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked 51 times in 23 posts
Default Zombie on a Walker

Ok I thought I would post a thread that shows the progress I make on my prop while I am working on it instead of posting it when it is done. I really enjoy watching the progress threads that members do on this forum, so I thought I would give it a try.
I am having a Zombie and Clown theme this year and I need to make at least 6 zombies. I am making static zombies also, but I wanted to take advantage of some of the shiatsu massagers I found at the thrift store. The zombie I want to make for this thread is a Zombie on a walker. The member Creepers did an excellent job of her static zombie on a walker that I wanted to make something similar, but with movement. I have been working on it the last couple of nights and this is what I have done so far.

I found a walker at curby's and cut a piece of wood to fit across the handle bars. Than I screwed the wood securely to the walker:

I mounted the shiatsu massager to the piece of wood:

After I stripped the top of the shiatsu massager to the metal fittings I placed a 1 1/4 fitting in the socket to prevent turning of the 1 inch pvc pipe. I also placed a 1 inch fitting inside the 1 1/4 fitting so I could insert my 1 inch pipe. I tested the movement when I placed a 1 inch pvc pipe and it looks like it isn't spinning as much. I want it to rotate not spin without much stress on the motor.

I worked on the upper torso:
The following 4 users liked Joiseygal's post:
Old 07-02-2010
BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was working on the upper torso I noticed I made the shoulders to long so I cut them down and connected the lower arms with plastic ties to give some movement.

I wanted to see if it looked good with the arms and the mask so I took a picture of it to vision what potential the zombie prop has. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I will post more pictures as I work on it, but this is what I got so far.

Last edited by Joiseygal; 07-02-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2010
El Diablo Blanco

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

very cool this is gonna be some great work keep us posted!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2010
Lunatic

Liked 6 times in 5 posts

HOLY CRAP....I picked up a walker the other day, stripped it down and have a zombie on it now...lol. I saw one on line that was pneumatic and the body was in a hospital gown...just a torso holding onto the walker. Since I don't do pneumatics, I am also using my massager. I also made a zombie bride using my massager yesterday. My daughter made a suggestion on how to change up my yard now and I think I may go for it. I can't wait to see your progress. This is so cool....it means that we're starting to think alike. OH, I found another prop for you to make for your yard this year,...check this out!

http://www.spirithalloween.com/produ...g-jester-prop/
Old 07-02-2010
Fearless

Liked 7 times in 4 posts

Nice work! I too am anxiously waiting.
Old 07-02-2010
BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishaanne View Post
HOLY CRAP....I picked up a walker the other day, stripped it down and have a zombie on it now...lol. I saw one on line that was pneumatic and the body was in a hospital gown...just a torso holding onto the walker. Since I don't do pneumatics, I am also using my massager. I also made a zombie bride using my massager yesterday. My daughter made a suggestion on how to change up my yard now and I think I may go for it. I can't wait to see your progress. This is so cool....it means that we're starting to think alike. OH, I found another prop for you to make for your yard this year,...check this out!

http://www.spirithalloween.com/produ...g-jester-prop/
LOL..You are in trouble if we think a like. Usually my brain is 10 percent thinking and 90 percent on vacation. Pattie I would really love to see your walker zombie. I want to have the legs cut off on my zombie and maybe laying on the floor?!?!? I'm not sure if I will cut the body off right at the center or have some of the lower half shown, but mangled. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. I also want to have ribs exposed, so I think I will be working with some paper mache for this project. Anyway thanks so far on the nice comments.

Last edited by Joiseygal; 07-02-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2010
Frightener

Liked 8 times in 4 posts

Very cool, JG, but I'm right there with you too. I'm attaching the massager to the walker using strips of a bicycle innertube to try get a little more movement out of the whole prop. I had tried zip ties first but got no extra movement from them.

I really like what you've done with the elbows. I hadn't thought of that so . . . of course I'll be "borrowing" your idea.

Not sure what your intentions are for legs, but I'm going with the "no legs" old grandma. I'm using stockings and spray foam to make a gut sack to hang off the bottom of the massager. That's why I want the extra movement, I'm hoping to get a little swing going with the gut sack.
Old 07-02-2010
Totally Gargoylicious

Liked 97 times in 36 posts

When I read your comment about the shoulders being too wide and needing adjustment, I thought "Oh yeah, been there" I did the same thing on one of my props and had to readjust.

Looking forward to seeing how this guy turns out, oh Queen of the Zombies
Old 07-02-2010
Lunatic

Liked 6 times in 5 posts

Sharon, I'm going with no legs, just the torso in a hospital gown....MAYBE. Things tend to turn into what they want to be as I'm working on them. In fact, the first one actually turned into a bride..lol. Zombie bride, but still not what it was starting out as..lol. She turned out to be the easiest prop I've ever done. Just used an upside down tomato cage, slid the poufy gown over top of it, and then tied the 4 little posts together and crammed them into the wig head..lol. Her gown hides the massager and although she has no arms right now, I may leave them that way. There is so much material on the dress that you can barely tell and at night, you won't really see it. Again, that may change today as I work on it. I forgot to give you that purple and black jester outfit...I'll look for it today! I'll see what else I can find too.
Old 07-02-2010
BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tot13 View Post
Very cool, JG, but I'm right there with you too. I'm attaching the massager to the walker using strips of a bicycle innertube to try get a little more movement out of the whole prop. I had tried zip ties first but got no extra movement from them.

I really like what you've done with the elbows. I hadn't thought of that so . . . of course I'll be "borrowing" your idea.

Not sure what your intentions are for legs, but I'm going with the "no legs" old grandma. I'm using stockings and spray foam to make a gut sack to hang off the bottom of the massager. That's why I want the extra movement, I'm hoping to get a little swing going with the gut sack.
I want no legs, but I'm not sure if I will have some of the upper leg attached so maybe the weight of it will give it some motion from the movement of the massager. I wanted to post the picture of the static zombie Creepers did:

This was my inspiration to do this prop along with the pneumatic prop I saw at the Fields of Screams haunt. I think I'm going to use jeans and a tee-shirt though. I am interested to see how those bicycle inner tubes work out tot. Keep us posted? Oh and Pattie yes props don't always work out as you originally intended, but sometimes that can be a good thing as you found out!