HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Halloween Discussions > Costumes and Makeup
Forgot Password?

Notices

Costumes and Makeup The place to discuss Halloween costumes, makeup and anything else related to masquerading about on the big night.

Old 07-18-2010
Desensitized

Liked 14 times in 6 posts
Exclamation Hollywood Tower Hotel Bellhop

Aaaaaaaalright seeing as my Tweedle-Doom post sucked because I did everything last minute and didnt really show my fellow forumers it's entire creation I decided that my new costume will be documented from start to finish to show you guys just how much labor goes into making my suits. All of my costumes are sewn entirely by me so maybe I can inspire some forumers to buy a machine and learn themselves. The garnet is the story and background of the costume for if you care to read it, if not just skip down.

Since I was a kid and the Tower of Terror movie premiered on Disney channel I fell in love with the story about the hotel and whatnot. For those of you who don't know, the movie was based on a lost Twilight Zone episode about a hotel in Hollywood, The Hollywood Tower Hotel, that in the 1930's was the most exclusive hotel in the area. The episode goes that on October 31, 1939, 5 guests boarded the elevator to enter the Tip Top club located on the top floor, the 13th to be exact. Upon arriving to the 13th floor a bolt of lightning struck the elevator and it came crashing down. The doors of the smashed elevator were pried open on the first floor but it's 5 passengers bodies were missing. Along with the 5 guests, the entire wing housing the Tip Top Club on the 13th floor disappeared, leaving a gap on the side of the hotel with an outline of smashed concrete were it used to be connected. Everyone fleed the hotel leaving everything behind and the Hollywood tower Hotel was sealed up forever.

That lost episode inspired the movie, which later inspired the ride (which is amazing by the way) Supposedly the Hollywood Tower Hotel bellhops have reopened it's doors and are letting the public take rides on the still intact service elevator that gives passengers a peek into the Twilight Zone before dropping them 13 floors.

Well enough of my blabbing, I've decided to recreate the bellhop suit (which btw are some of Disney parks most expensive cast member suits, costing about +$1,000 each) but making it much more decrepit like the hotel itself. I don't want people thinking its a zombie, more like one of the bellhops that was thrust into the Twilight Zone when lightning struck its 13th floor.

The costume will consist of a replica bellhop hat, a full face prosthetic, very similar bellhop jacket as the ones used in the lost episode, movie, and ride, and matching pants and shoes as well as contacts, wig, and fully made up hands and nails (no gloves I'm wearing this to school and I have to be fully functional)

Construction of the jacket is halfway completed and I have a few pics of the process from start to finish that I'll be posting up as soon as I can.

As a reference as to what to expect, here are some pics.

The hotel and its missing wings

The smashed elevator with no bodies to be found

The lobby with everyones belonging exactly as they were left when they fleed

aaaand finally the bellhops
Old 07-18-2010
Lunatic

Liked 6 times in 2 posts

Very cool! The TZTOT has always been one of my favorite Disney attractions - can't wait to see what you come up with!
Old 07-18-2010
Master of Scaremonies

Liked 14 times in 8 posts

Looking forward to it, MM!
Old 07-20-2010
Lunatic

Liked 50 times in 17 posts

Very creative idea!!! looking forward to seeing pics!!!!
Old 07-21-2010
Lunatic

Liked 13 times in 9 posts

Great idea, looking forward to watching your progress and how it turns out!
Old 07-22-2010
Desensitized

Cool Update #1

Oooooook then some new contacts I ordered from Japan should be coming in soon (or not so soon) These are still pretty out there like my other contacts but they're in a natural color so they look like really exaggerated eyes which is great for a HTH Bellhop cause they were at some point living :P and they're not exactly dead so I thought these were perfect. The brand is DollyEyes (the brand plainly states that their contacts are supposed to look very artificial) and I got them in gray. Ill post some pics as soon as they get in but for now here's some sample pics of how they'll look.

Believe me, these aren't gonna look all cutesy Japanese once I'm through with them :P

Old 07-22-2010
Frightener

Liked 5 times in 1 post

Neato! I would love some of these contacts for my Haunted Doll costume this year, but I have a very strong perscription AND a severe astigmatism. I'm sure they don't make contacts this cool for blind people like me! haha
Old 07-22-2010
Lunatic

Liked 24 times in 12 posts

Love the way everything is going so far.
Old 07-23-2010
Uneasy

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

WOW! Great thinking! Love the TOT!! One of my favorites. I love how they do all the staging. It is honestly a haunter's dream to be able to do that sort of decorating. I am looking forward to pictures. Love the contacts too. Do you have a link?
Old 07-23-2010
Desensitized

@witchywoman I cant even remember what site I bought them on but google "circle lens" and you'll get tooooons of pages and styles or google search "DollyEyes" and you'll get more then enough links of different sites that offer these exact ones I got. Just remember, since you don't need a prescription because they're purchased directly from Asia (their laws dont require one), you take on full responsibility if anything happens to you due to their use.